About      Books      Cat and Muse      Blog      Contact

Comments RSS 2.0

Web-Stat hit counter
    The Girlfriends' Cyber Circuit
    List|Previous
    Next|Random

Author Writes Book, Gets Kicked Out of Church

Hey, did you hear the one about the urban fantasy debut author who got kicked out of church for writing an urban fantasy novel?

I wish I were joking. But this is deadly serious.

JFL Fellow author and member of the League of Reluctant Adults Jeremy F. Lewis wrote the novel STAKED. And by way of appreciation, his church “withdrew fellowship.” The story appears here and here and here.

Jeremy was kicked out of “a local non-denominational church” in Alabama. Though technically he wasn’t excommunicated, Jeremy says that “it amounts to the same thing. I was a member. And because I refused to renounce the book, stop promoting the book, and publicly apologize… as well as a few other things that would have amounted to breach of contract on my part or been financially ruinous… I am no longer allowed to be a member.”

Got that, folks? Jeremy wrote a book, and because he did that, he got kicked out of his church.

So what’s this book about, anyway? Does it tell children to murder their parents in the name of Satan?

Staked From Jeremy’s website: Murder is a fact of life for the vampire Eric, owner of the DemonHeart strip club in Void City, but when he kills a werewolf in self-defense, things get wildly out of hand. Though the local Alpha and his pack of born-again lycanthropes are out for holy retribution, they’re the least of Eric’s worries when he finds himself caught between his girlfriend Tabitha, who has always wanted to be a vampire, and her sexy little sister Rachel, a tantric witch with a hidden agenda.

Why can’t unlife be easy? All Eric wants to do is run his club, drink a little blood and be left alone. In his quest to discover who is trying to end him and why, he must survive car crashes, embalming, sunlight, tantric magic, and werewolves on ice as well as his own nasty temper, forgetfulness, and mistakes. More diamond in the sewer than diamond in the rough, Eric is willing to take on the world in STAKED, a book where love just might conquer all, even if it is twisted, evil, and undead.

Hmm. Sounds like…dare I say it…a vampire novel. And love conquering all? Hmm. That sounds suspiciously…idealistic.

So why was Jeremy kicked out of church?

Says the author himself over at Jason Sanford’s website, “the elders of his church believe that ‘by writing the book, I committed the sins contained within it. They also felt that I’d aimed the novel at young children (which boggles the mind) and that it teaches and encourages the use of vulgar language. Though I disagree wholeheartedly with their decision, I can’t really say they took the action they took in order to be mean… they appear to have been acting out of genuine concern.’”

So let’s review. Jeremy F. Lewis, author of STAKED, wrote a book that is neither intended for children nor shelved in the children’s section of the bookstore. He wrote a work of fiction. The characters in it say and do morally unsavory things. And because he wrote this book and refused to renounce it, he was kicked out of his church.

Bluntly, this sucks. And no, that’s not a vampire pun.

I could get into a whole diatribe about how urban fantasy is all about the ongoing battle between Good versus Evil, and how that battle is reflected internally and externally, and how stories about monsters as protagonists allows us to question the dark roots within ourselves even as we strive to be moral creatures who love. But forget all of that.

This is **fiction**. It’s not pretending to set a moral course of life (or unlife). It’s meant to be entertainment. If you don’t like it, don’t read it. It’s that simple. Kicking Jeremy out of church isn’t just wrong. I think it’s unchristian.

Time to show righteous ire! Buy a copy of STAKED today and see why Jeremy’s church made a horrendous mistake. Better yet, buy two: one for you, and one for your local library. You can buy STAKED at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, Flights of Fantasy, Mysterious Galaxy, and other independent bookstores.

And stop by Jeremy’s website or the League of Reluctant Adults and let Jeremy know that if you have any say about it, his soul’s in good hands.

12 Responses to “Author Writes Book, Gets Kicked Out of Church”

1. Jackie, you can bet that I’ll buy several copies…of that work of FICTION…which is clearly not a reflection of Jeremy as a person. :wink:

by Heather Brewer on November 24th, 2008 at 8:35 pm

2. Just goes to show, you should pick your church wisely – and quite possibly, your state as well.

Jeremy, I will have to pick this book up!

by Elaine Bergstrom on November 24th, 2008 at 9:38 pm

3. OH! I am so all over this. “THIS” is the kind of stuff that is driving people away from the church in droves. It is so sad. They have probably made people want to read it more…not less. I bet there is a whole underground book club that is reading it as we speak. With all the awful things that are happening, this is what they choose to get up in arms about. Oh well…to each his own.

by mykidrocks on November 24th, 2008 at 9:41 pm

4. [...] A League of Reluctant Adults (such a great site).  Here are a few other places sharing the love: Jackie Kessler, UFLand interviews [...]

by Show the Love | Literary Escapism on November 25th, 2008 at 2:33 pm

5. For the love of…

Words fail me.

by azteclady on November 25th, 2008 at 7:36 pm

6. Even if they don’t agree with what you wrote isn’t the idea to help what they would consider “sinners” to change their ways. Kicking somebody out seems like the complete opposite of what they’re suppose to be after. I made the mistake of sending my work to a Christian Publisher (before reading the fine print), man did I catch a page full, I feel your pain Jeremy.

Logan Lamech

by Logan Lamech on November 25th, 2008 at 8:18 pm

7. [...] as well get this one in, too, before tackling the more sciencey topics.  Jeremy F. Lewis, author, was kicked out a local non-denomonational church for writing an urban fanta….  I am not the intolerant one in this society just because I am vocally critical of the actions of [...]

by Black Friday Starlinks | Mike Brotherton: SF Writer on November 28th, 2008 at 4:14 pm

8. [...] to meet, and I imagine that his new book, out from Pocket  Books, is very good.  For more on the circumstances of Jeremy’s excommunication, visit the site of Jackie Kessler, one of my cyber-buddies from [...]

9. This is the kind of stuff that makes me crazy. Since they are a private organization, any church can do whatever they feel they have a right to do. If this church is part of a larger denomination, then this could be appealed to a hire governing body, but who wants to go through that? Truth is, people are getting kicked out for just thinking outside the box that the church feels is righteous.
      I’ve decided that we live in a mad world, where love has been tossed out the window.

by Sue on November 30th, 2008 at 10:55 pm

10. This is the kind of stuff that makes me crazy. Since they are a private organization, any church can do whatever they feel they have a right to do. If this church is part of a larger denomination, then this could be appealed to a hire governing body, but who wants to go through that? Truth is, people are getting kicked out for just thinking outside the box that the church feels is righteous.
      I’ve decided that we live in a mad world, where love your neighbor as you love yourself has been tossed out the window.

by Sue on November 30th, 2008 at 10:55 pm

11. Thats why I’m glad of being a pagan.

by Emily on December 31st, 2008 at 8:46 am

12. Passing the word, purchasing the book. I am not a Christian, but have friends who are–and they are growing more and more sick of this sort of attitude amongst the certain population of themselves. Am sorry to hear this…it is wrong on so many levels. I write murder mysteries–with serial killers–does that make me a serial killer too?

by Carolyn on December 31st, 2008 at 9:15 am

Home   •   About   •   The Icarus Project   •   Books   •   Cat and Muse   •   Blog   •   Contact   •   Site & Copyright